Saturday, June 9, 2012

Come on you fans in green!

It's time for the Euro 2012! Now don't get me wrong here. It's not like I have the slightest idea about soccer. The first time I heard of Robbie Keane was through Jedward's charity single "Put the green cape on".
But ever since Germany was host to the World Cup in 2006, I started to understand the fascination behind international football and like to think of it as an ambassador for a peaceful bringing together of the nations.

Paradoxically enough though, it is also one of the rare occasions when you can run around drunk in German public and proudly shout "DEUTSCHLAND" without being arrested, but instead getting hugs off random strangers.

Football both encourages an innocent form of patriotism, as well as it sparks curiosity for other nations' lifestyles. Or an easier way of saying it: "It makes people have the craic!"

Now, none of that would be possible without the support of fans. Being a self-appointed girl in green, I am a huge fan of the Irish crowd and their enthusiasm towards soccer (and sports in general). Despite not being one of the world's leading football nations, the Irish have a very positive attitude towards their boys in green. Unlike Germany, who are spoilt by their success and only appreciate their players after a decent match, Ireland fans even seem to get a great pleasure out of the simple fact  that they are part of the Euro again.
Girl in Green supports Boys in Green (I know. It's a rugby jersey.)

On that note I can't wait to watch tomorrow's match against Croatia, cheer for the boys in green and all their fans with their green capes on. Come on Ireland!

By the way, don't forget to support Germany in this evening's match against Portugal though ;-)!!!

8 comments:

  1. Aww ur sweet - and were always happy to have you as a girl in green!! But with the hooliganism that goes on in football, I dont know if I could call it an innocent form of patriotism! I like your optimism though - and agree, the Irish tend to be great fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbi :). You're right when you mention hooliganism. Not only do I put on my green cape (symbolically speaking!), but also tend to see things through rose-coloured glasses ;). I can only speak for myself and the international matches I have watched in public so far and always enjoyed atmosphere. As for (English)club matches, I wouldn't dare going to one (let alone being interested in it ;).

      Delete
  2. Hi Julia,

    I´ve recently discovered your blog and I have some question: Why are so so much talking about Germany?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony!
      First of all a very warm welcome to you as a new follower:)! Now all you have to do is spread the word;)! Well, I guess I'm writing from the perspective of a German migrant living in Ireland. And as I spent a lot of time in both countries it's only obvious that I'm writing about cultural and social etc. similarities/differences between Germany and Ireland :).

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Julia. I really enjoy reading your blog :). But I have two quastions left: Are you from Ireland or Germany? And What´s your job? You should know I´m a german student and it´s truly fascinating to read something about my mother country :)

      Delete
    3. I am German (see also: http://goonyougirlsingreen.blogspot.de/2012/01/welcome-to-my-world.html ;). Are you living in Ireland? It's great to hear you're enjoying this blog :)!

      Delete
    4. I´m a 16 year old guy and living in Erfurt in Thuringia ;) I attend a gym and finished my Examn for 10th class last week xD
      But I actually love Ireland a lot. The people are so lovely, the musicians great!! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete